SIFMA – Cerulli Associates: Individual Investors’ Use of Financial Advisors
The SIFMA-Cerulli Individual Investors’ Use of Financial Advisors research provides several key findings, including the essential role financial advisors play in helping investors, the types of financial services most valuable to investors, and how technology impacts investors’ interaction with financial advisors.
Individual Investors* currently hold $6.5 trillion with securities firms, with an average relationship size of $135,000
- There are over 33 million households between $100,000 and $1,000,000 in investable assets, representing 26% of the U.S. population
- These investors control nearly 23% of investable assets in the U.S., over $11 trillion
- 78% report using a professional financial advisor today
Individual Investors name retirement planning as the primary service they receive from their advisor
- Already retired Individual Investors rely on personal investments for nearly two-thirds of their retirement income
- Retirement income planning and retirement planning are the most common services offered by advisors serving Individual Investors
Individual Investors are very satisfied with their advisor relationships
- 74% report that they would recommend their advisor, 77% believe their advisor is worth the cost
- Just 1% report being dissatisfied with their advisor
- Trustworthiness, dedicated relationships, personalized advice drive this satisfaction
As digital solutions proliferate, personalized financial planning services will become an important complement in individual financial relationships
- 38% of Individual Investors believe they will need more advice in the future
- Advisors serving this segment intend to broaden their offering of financial planning services
- Lack of human interaction is cited as the primary obstacle to digital relationships
- Digital engagement allows for scaling of basic services, and more time for personal interaction
**For this project Individual Investors are defined as households with $100,000 to $1 million of investable assets.
Download the full research project (pdf).
See Cerulli Associates press release.