1. Trademarks. Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association® and SIFMA® are registered trademarks of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA). You may not use the trademarks of SIFMA or any of the other providers of content on this website.
3. SIFMA Documents. Our Site includes without limitation: form documents, templates and agreements; legal opinions; guidelines; best practices; market data; indices; exercises; training materials; research materials; newsletters; and general information (each a "Document" and collectively, "Documents"). SIFMA makes no representations, warranties or guarantees, express or implied, as to the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or continued availability of any Documents available through our website. SIFMA has no obligation whatsoever to correct, supplement, update, or maintain any of the Documents available through our website.
No Advice. The Documents are intended for general informational purposes only, and are not intended to provide, and do not constitute, investment, tax, business or legal advice to any individual or entity. Site visitors are urged to consult with their own advisors before taking action based on any Documents available through our website or any website to which we link.
No Attorney-Client Relationship. The Documents are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, and your use of such documents and information does not and will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and SIFMA.
License to Use. SIFMA grants you a limited, personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to use our Documents solely for your own personal, noncommercial use. You acknowledge and agree that you have no right to copy, modify, edit, reproduce, recompile, create derivative works from, reverse engineer, alter, enhance or in any way exploit any of the Documents in any manner.
Resale of Documents Prohibited. You agree that any Documents you purchase or use may only be used by you for your personal, noncommercial use, and may not be sold, distributed, transferred or otherwise made available to third parties without the express written consent of SIFMA.
5. Links to Third Party Sites. This Site contains links to websites controlled by parties other than SIFMA (each a "Third Party Site"). SIFMA is not responsible for and does not endorse or accept any responsibility for the availability, contents, products, services or use of any Third Party Site, any website accessed from a Third Party Site or any changes or updates to such sites. SIFMA makes no guarantees about the content or quality of the products or services provided by such sites. SIFMA is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by SIFMA of the Third Party Site, nor does it imply that SIFMA sponsors, is affiliated or associated with, guarantees, or is legally authorized to use any trade name, registered trademark, logo, legal or official seal, or copyrighted symbol that may be reflected in the links. You acknowledge that you bear all risks associated with access to and use of content provided on a Third Party Site and agree that SIFMA is not responsible for any loss or damage of any sort you may incur from dealing with a third party.
process therein, (d) agree not to commence any Proceeding other than in such courts, and (e) waive, to the fullest extent permitted by law, any claim that such Proceeding is brought in an inconvenient forum. Each party hereto hereby irrevocably waives any right that it may have to trial by jury in any Proceeding.
7. NO WARRANTY. THE SITE AND ALL MATERIALS, DOCUMENTS OR FORMS PROVIDED ON OR THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE SITE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, SIFMA EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
SIFMA MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT: (A) THE SITE OR THE MATERIALS WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (B) THE SITE OR THE MATERIALS WILL BE AVAILABLE ON AN UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR-FREE BASIS; (C) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE SITE OR ANY MATERIALS OFFERED THROUGH THE SITE OR APPLICATIONS, WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE; OR (D) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE SITE OR IN RELIANCE ON THE MATERIALS WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS.
OBTAINING ANY MATERIALS THROUGH THE USE OF THE SITE IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND AT YOUR OWN RISK. SIFMA SHALL HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY CONTENT, MATERIALS, INFORMATION OR SOFTWARE.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNIFICATION. EXCEPT AS PROHIBITED BY LAW, YOU WILL HOLD SIFMA AND ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS HARMLESS FOR ANY INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE, HOWEVER IT ARISES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS' FEES AND ALL RELATED COSTS AND EXPENSES OF LITIGATION AND ARBITRATION, OR AT TRIAL OR ON APPEAL, IF ANY, WHETHER OR NOT LITIGATION OR ARBITRATION IS INSTITUTED), WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, OR ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY CLAIM FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, ARISING FROM THIS AGREEMENT AND ANY VIOLATION BY YOU OF ANY FEDERAL, STATE, OR LOCAL LAWS, STATUTES, RULES, OR REGULATIONS, EVEN IF SIFMA HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. EXCEPT AS PROHIBITED BY LAW, IF THERE IS LIABILITY FOUND ON THE PART OF SIFMA, IT WILL BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT PAID FOR THE PRODUCTS AND/OR SERVICES, AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THERE BE CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE PRIOR LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Compliance with Intellectual Property Laws. When accessing the Site or using any documents or information on the Site, you agree to obey the law and you agree to respect the intellectual property rights of others. Your use of the Site is at all times governed by and subject to laws regarding copyright, trademark and other intellectual property ownership. You agree not to upload, download, display, perform, transmit or otherwise distribute any information or content in violation of SIFMA's or any third party's copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property or proprietary rights. You agree to abide by laws regarding copyright ownership and use of intellectual property, and you shall be solely responsible for any violations of any relevant laws and for any infringements of third party rights caused by any content you provide or transmit.
10.Linking to the SIFMA Site. You may link to content in our Site for informational purposes only as long as you agree to: (i) Use a textual URL to link to content in the Site. You may not use our logo without prior written consent; (ii) You do not frame or use any framing techniques to enclose any content on the Site; (iii) You may not imply SIFMA's affiliation or endorsement of your product or service; (iv) SIFMA reserves the right to request the removal of any links from your site. All such requests must be granted immediately.
For specific questions, please email email@example.com or call 212.313.1000.
Last Updated: December 17, 2014
The Dodd-Frank Act requires an unprecedented two- to five-year rulemaking process where roughly 250 new regulations need to be researched and written by at least a dozen regulatory agencies.
Systemic Risk Regulation
Systemic risk generally describes the interdependency of institutions in global financial markets and the domino effect that can arise from correlated risks and the failure of a single or handful of financial institutions.
As part of the Dodd-Frank Act, Congress adopted a ban on proprietary trading and restricted investment in hedge funds and private equity by commercial banks and their affiliates, the so-called “Volcker Rule.”
Derivatives are financial contracts used to manage risk by transferring it from a party that wishes to reduce its exposure to another party that wishes to take on that exposure.
A fiduciary standard refers to the duty a financial professional (the fiduciary) holds to place the best interests of their clients (investors seeking “personalized investment advice”) over their own.
Housing Finance and Securitization
Overall housing finance reform in the U.S., including the future of the GSEs, will be addressed separately from the Dodd-Frank Act.