CHC matches our nation's senators and representatives to student teams competing in The Stock Market Game™. Student teams manage a hypothetical $100,000 online portfolio and invest in real stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. The competition runs from February 3 through May 9, 2014.
CHC partners Members of Congress with up to two middle and/or high schools every spring. Participating schools may enter up to 10 teams with 3-5 students each, for a maximum of 50 students, for each Member of Congress. Schools must be located in the Member of Congress' district as defined by a matching zip code. There is no charge for the CHC teams.
Since its inception in 2004, CHC has made 2,212 matches of U.S. Representatives and Senators with schools, encompassing more than 60,000 students across the country. In 2013, 506 Members of Congress were matched with CHC teams in their jurisdictions and in 2014, we are seeking 100% participation.
The 10 CHC teams at the end of the competition with the highest-ranked portfolios (one winning team per Member of Congress) will win a trip to Washington, D.C. to meet their Member of Congress and be recognized at an awards reception on Capitol Hill. During their visit, students and teachers will meet with business, government, and education leaders to learn about fiscal policy making, the role of the capital markets, and global economic trends. The winners will also have the opportunity to tour financial landmarks and national monuments.
To be eligible for participation in the CHC, the Registration Form must be completed in full and submitted online or returned to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax: 212-313-1324
CHC Spring semester: February 3 – May 9, 2014
CHC Winners Awards Event, Washington DC: June 10-12, 2014
- All rules of The Stock Market Game™ apply to the Capitol Hill Challenge. SMG rules are found at www.stockmarketgame.org or can be viewed here (PDF)
- The maximum number of teams for this program is 10 (3-5 students per team). Students may only participate on ONE team in the CHC program and names of participating students on each team will be required by March 21 to be eligible for the winner's event. (Note that students taking part in a separate SMG game window can also take part in CHC)
- February 3rd is the first official day students can make trades, but students do not have to enter trades for several weeks. All inactive teams will be deleted the week of 3/24 so that we are able to continue to offer the CHC at no cost.
- The Capitol Hill Challenge utilizes end-of-day pricing data. End-of-day pricing means that any trades made during regular business hours for the NYSE Euronext, 9:30 am - 4:00 pm EST, will receive the closing price of the stock for that day. Trades made after the market close will receive the closing price for the following day.
- The last day for making transactions in team portfolios is the day before the end of the session. In the Capitol Hill Challenge, the last day for making transactions is 4:00 pm EST, Thursday, May 8, 2014.
- Portfolios must enter at least three transactions by the end of the game in order to qualify for the trip to Washington, DC.
- Teams may not invest more than 33% of their total buying power in any one company or fund. If the stock or fund in a team portfolio increases in value and places the investment beyond 33% of their total equity, they will be unable to purchase additional shares of that stock or fund. This is the Maximum Equity rule. The Stock Market Game system will automatically enforce this rule to encourage diversity in a team portfolio.
- Students will be ranked against the performance of the S&P 500 and rankings will be updated daily. Teams will not be included in the rankings until they have entered their first trade.
- Students may only trade stocks that actively traded the previous market day and those with a market capitalization greater than $25M. This ensures the trading of highly liquid and stable stocks.
- The winners' trip to Washington, DC is nontransferable and is only available to the winning team members.